Thursday, October 30, 2014

Zombies!

Go to Beth Rodgers Photography Website

When my coworkers asked what plans I had for the weekend, I told them I was going to be photographing a large group of zombies. As you might imagine, that raised a few eyebrows and some inaudible mutterings about what kind of friends I had. But it also gave me the chance to dispel all myths about whether it really was possible to capture photos of zombies. 


More important, I got to tell them about the global Thrill the World humanitarian event. This worldwide event involves thousands of Zombies dancing to Thriller, all at the exact same time, and finishing off with a moving rendition of We Are the World. I suspect that, as each year passes, the Guinness World Record gets set anew for largest number of simultaneous Thriller dancers. Each location does this to raise money for the charity of its choice. Time will tell what happened to the record this year. But even if previous records were not broken, it was a frightfully good time with a fun group, dedicated to a terrific cause, raising money for a local non-profit. This year the fund-raising was directed toward Keshet Dance Company to support the incredible work they are doing in the Albuquerque area. It is wonderful to know that there are so many individuals devoted to the arts and I am sure we will see some terrific work coming out of their visionary innovation center. I hope to do some photography work for them in the future.
 
Zombie leader, Diane
Who would have thought that spending a day with 163 Zombie dancers (and even more if you count the appropriately attired volunteers and supporters who were present) would be such fun? And next year, I can't wait to do it all again.  I am hoping that the word gets out about this event and we can break the 200 mark. It already is impressive to know that the Albuquerque event far surpasses that of much larger cities. Atlanta, for example, couldn't muster a single official Turn, Look... Stare, Stare or even one Roar Turn. 


I will do what I can to spread the word. I've often thought that the Thriller music and dance were infectious. This group of Zombies, led by the indomitable Diane Green, has given that a whole new meaning. Come catch the infection and join the Zombies next year!  'Cause this is Thriller...




Select Gallery and then Browse to the Thriller folder. 

Follow the activities of Thrill the World Albuquerque.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment